Lunes, Abril 16, 2012

Why I volunteered?


Why I volunteered?

I was 13 when Apo Pinatubo got fed up and spill-out its guts and
devastated mostly Central Luzon. From that moment my perception of
life change, I was shivering with fear because almost everyone around
me is saying it's the end of the world and God's judgment is coming.
The day becomes night and rain of sands and ashes cover up our whole
town. From noon time it was total blackout and nonstop pouring of
sands destroys most of the houses in our neighborhood. Our newly
constructed house from my Father's loan saved us from experiencing the
total wrath of Mt. Pinatubo. Most of our neighbors’ home were destroyed
and damaged by the eruption, forcing them to take shelter in our
house. There were a total of 5 families in that tiny home praying that
the roof will stand the accumulating weight of the sand. Thank God it
did, through camaraderie and genuine care we survived that longest
night of our lives.
Countless lives and properties were destroyed, people are left with
shock and confusion, everyone is muttering "What now?"
The main source of living in my province is agriculture, fisheries and
being employed at the American base. But after the tragedy and
political situation between the Philippines and America, the G.I.'s
left the country and left most of the people jobless including my
father.
But one good leader didn't lose hope, asks for volunteers to revive
the former base and make it a working special economic zone that will
be the blood and life source of all the people in that tiny area in
Luzon archipelago. Through volunteerism, we were able stand-up again.
We were able to show the whole country, the whole world that we can
make it on our own.

I saw nothing but good intention in having the IIF program in our
project. I witnessed how effective it was during my last project in
Qatar where our peak manpower reaches 55,000 composed of different
nationalities around the world. When I was a volunteer in that project
I once asked myself if this kind of program is possible to be
implemented here.
Now I know it is possible! Because we are living it, we are doing it
and we are achieving it through the spirit of volunteerism.
My IIF mentor told me that "If you believe that what you are doing can
help change and better people's lives then you are doing the right
thing."

I believe I am contributing to change.

It does not matter if your hands are small; it is yours and only you
can wield how productive and meaningful it can be. Because when worst
comes to worst only kindness matters.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento